Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Concern #1

As I write this post, we have 1,163 people who have signed up for pre-notification of the Essential Classics of Catholic Spirituality collection launch. I think that's amazing! So many people on a spiritual journey through Advent can only bring blessings to Christ's Church. Not to mention the financial help we'll be able to bring to our pro-life charities to give them and the innocents they help an extra Merry Christmas.

We have also had some questions and concerns about the collection. The biggest concern so far has been that since these Spiritual Classics are all old enough to be in the public domain, why not just offer links to online text sites like Project Gutenberg?

I think that's a great concern and we certainly could provide a page of links. However, websites are often cumbersome and difficult to read. Joe and I have been working extremely diligently to offer these classics in an easy-to-read format that is appealing to the eye as well as the spirit.

The Church in her wisdom has traditionally recognized that beauty lifts the spirit towards God. That's why so many of the old churches were so ornate and beautiful. Just look at some of the modern churches that are so stark and stripped of all the beauty. We did NOT want to make these classics available in the same stark and stripped-down fashion. We've invested a lot of time and resources to make the classics appealing so that you can better put yourself in a state of Divine reflection. Just take a look at the Sneak Preview and the Free Spiritual Quotes eBook to see what I mean.

Also, Joe and I are in the process of making this collection available in a bound, hard-copy version of all 10 Classics. We're going to offer an incredibly deep discount on the bound version only to those who order the electronic version during the week of November 13th through the 17th (exact dates still to come).

So even though you can access these Classics on sites like Project Gutenberg, we believe owning them in an easy-to-read and appealing format (whether on your computer desktop or on your bookshelf) is essential for one's spiritual journey and development.

Keep those emails and comments coming! We're getting very close to the launch date now and I want to answer as many of your questions and concerns as possible.

God Bless!

P.S. Some of you have already heard rumors about "surprises" we may offer for those who order the Classics collection. So let me respond to that rumor-- Yes, we'll be offering some very cool extras and bonuses as part of the collection launch to the initial purchasers. We are also considering a unique and exciting pricing formula that's going to thrill a lot of people. Stay tuned!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to the Book! The previews are good, one can hold a book in the hand and curl up by the fire...you know?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Promoting Spirituality this Advent lifts our thoughts and minds to where they should be, on Christ. You are following in Jesus's footsteps as you go to the extreme of leading others to Christ by making available the Essential Classics and raising funds for Jesus's ministries of promoting LIFE. Please accept my sincere Thanks.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Norma Peters said...

I am going to be away from home and away from my computer from Nov. 9 through Nov. 26. I signed up for the ebook classics, but won't be able to get them. So can I still get the wirebound version when it is available?

7:43 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Books are books ... computers are NOT the same! I would imagine that we could purchase more than 1 copy (?) therefore sharing our faith and utilizing what is provided here as an evangelical tool. I would say 'wrapping a computer link' is not only difficult but also not very effective. Think of how wonderful giving these resources to your children, nieces, nephews, Godchildren, Grandchildren, etc. and also sharing with them the link so they can access both modes of educating themselves about our faith. Keep up the great work!

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Joe and Jack, for reminding us of the wisdom of the Church and how beauty lifts us up to God. Beautiful reasons to support your efforts to raise money for Pro Life charities.

7:12 AM  
Blogger ProLifeSearch.com said...

Hi Norma -

You can still get the hard-copy versions, but we are only offering the substantial discount on the hard copies to members who purchase the electronic version.

My advice would be to try and access a computer during the week of the 13th - 17th in order to take advantage of the electronic version and the hard copy discounts.

God bless!

Jack

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful that the translations that you choose are also in the Public Domain. For instance, the TAN edition of Story of a Soul is a licensed translation.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Carmen said...

Great job guys! Still the questions remain. Why would people buy the books from your site if they can be purchased online through an online store or at a regular bookstore? Is there anything new added to them in regards to reflections? And what about the original publishers of the work? Do they agree with a new version of their books?

[Here the poster makes mention of various third-party sites which I've edited out. -Jack]

I don't mean to be rude but I have a nice and small copy of the Imitation of Christ that fits inside my purse. It also contains beautiful images that inspire to mediation. I didn't see any pictures on the sneak preview.

Now, if you guys are still open to suggestions, a great book to add to the classics would be:

The Sinner's Guide by Ven Louis Of Grenada

Regards,

Carmen

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Tracey C. said...

I don't know Carmen. I think Jack & joe addressed a lot of your questions in their post.

I went and looked at the Sneak Preview again. It does have some very nice pictures.

Just my 2 cents.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Texas Tim said...

"Why would people buy the books from your site if they can be purchased online through an online store or at a regular bookstore?" Hmmm, then you would suggest that every department store in the country should shut down their online stores just because you can also walk into one and physically buy the same item?

I don't mean to be rude either but that comment was completely devoid of logic.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love to read! no time except what i can catch between interviews at work so the downloads are the way to go for me.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The letters of little pocket sized books are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small for me to read! The books you guys are selling won't be little tiny ones like this gal is talking about in her satchel are they? I hope not. That would be about useless to me and most everybody I know over the age of 40.

Hi, Norma! Guess who?

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in. I own a Catholic bookstore and I just gathered from my shelves nine books by 8 of the authors totaling $116.10. (This is not the discount price. All my books are discounted to encourage more reading.) I welcome any kind of plan to get people interested in reading good Catholic books.
We don't have too many Catholics curling up by a fire, reading a book in SW Florida.
GrannyE

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home